Subject: Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: Seth Gordon <>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 13:12:09 -0500

Tom Lord wrote:
>        seth:
>        > If I tried to use NFS/AFS/Andrew to run desktop applications over a
>        > link
>        > with this kind of latency, what kind of performance would I see?
> ...(AFS originated under the original umbrella of "The
> Andrew Project" so saying "NFS/AFS/Andrew" is a little confused.)...

I am certainly confused, which is why I am asking these questions.

> You don't hit the net for every file -- you mostly experience local
> disk speeds.

But every time a client reads a file that can be written by another
client, the client that reads it has to go back to the server to check
whether or not the cache is dirty, right?  At what point does network
latency turn this into a bottleneck?

> -t

"The market can remain irrational longer than you
 can remain solvent."  --John Maynard Keynes
// seth gordon // wi/mit ctr for genome research //
// // standard disclaimer //