Subject: Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 10:02:40 +0900

    Tom> More recently, people have been working on features to handle
    Tom> conflicting rights, as after detached clients with
    Tom> accumulated writes rejoin.

They suck for your purpose.

Coda, Intermezzo, and company have extremely complex caching
algorithms, and to get server robustness they are implemented on the
client side.  This is a nightmare scenario for you, I suspect.  Coda
has no reasonable support for conflict resolution yet.  In the common
cases I encounter, I simply unmount and throw away cached changes (I
can do this because everything that matters is also in CVS).
Intermezzo is reputed to be better on this, but there are costs.  I
don't know if they matter to you; I haven't looked closely at
Intermezzo because the basic functionality seemed unreliable when I
last looked at the web site.

Coda (and Intermezzo) also has very sucky latency characteristics for
your purpose because the first "open" on a file requires having the
_whole file_ in cache.  rsync-like methods can help, but none of these
file systems implement that yet.