Subject: Re: Combinatorics and software support
From: Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 21:01:42 -0800 (PST)

> Most of the system I'm describing is pretty prosaic: tracking local system
> metadata and reporting it to a server, for instance, are "trivial" (lots of
> work to get right, but no fundamental problems :-).

The engineering part is not too hard to whip up (a nice customer
update system can be crafted from webmin, apt, and rpm), until you try
to handle more than one platform.  There are some promising attempts
(www.gibraltarsoft.com, et. al.).

The tricky part lies in
> the analysis and modeling portions.

So you've got package info on lots of different systems.  What kind of
analysis would you do on this data?  Do you have a business
application for this data in mind?

-Rich

Rich Bodo | rsb@ostel.com | 650-964-4678