Subject: Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: eichin@thok.org
Date: 06 Nov 2002 16:21:02 -0500

We're getting off into technical arcana, but:

>       Coda (and Intermezzo) also has very sucky latency
>       characteristics for your purpose because the first "open" on a
>       file requires having the _whole file_ in cache.  rsync-like
>
> Whole file caching is, indeed (to my current state of knowledge) an
> open issue.  However, in practice (as at CMU), it's a non-issue except

The reason it's a non-issue is because CMU (and MIT) *don't use* coda
and intermezzo - those are research projects.  Instead they use AFS
(or rather, OpenAFS); it hasn't done whole-file caching in a decade or
so.  (of course, it doesn't have offline operation either, but that's
been a "would be cool" rather than a "operationally required to run a
10k+ user site" feature" all along...)