Subject: Re: [coallesced replies] Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 21:03:50 -0800 (PST)

	nick:

	Excuse me if I'm mistaken, but I think the solution Tom has
	outlined is a bit more "integrated" than a linux
	distribution. In that all of the installation, configuration,
	maintnence, and security updates are done by the service
	provider, and the user does not have to worry about
	this. Correct?

Yes, correct.  The differences between this plan and, say, my recent
favorite whipping-boy: update servers, are subtle but significant.

	Coupled together with the fact that this is, what I assume to
	be a service aimed at end users (i.e. workstations). Allot of
	packages and problem areas can be automatically excluded from
	the realm of discussion as far as technical support.

There's lots of variations on the basic plan.  You can do enterprise
IT this way, perhaps drawing the boundaries around the businesses
differently, for example.  I think the plan resonates with IBM's
recent announcement.

	I am very interested in the technical design you have in mind,

I don't pretend to have a fully worked solution -- only to have
reduced things to problems that "obviously" have tractable solutions.

	and I'd like to hear more specifics. If you'd like to really
	start the design in detail and be more specific about the
	services provided, I'd might like to be a part of it.

There's three people officially interested so far (including me).

At this point, I would normally just plop down a mailing list on
regexps.com and go from there, but (as is well known) my finances are
so bad that it's kind of surprising there still _is_ a regexps.com,
and it isn't at all clear how much longer there will be. [*]

As with other endevors, I like the approach of setting up a
"think-room" with comfortable furniture, file-keeping technology,
white-boards, easels and poster-paper-flip-books, etc.  Failing that
(or in addition), maybe someone should volunteer to make a wiki and
mailing lists.

-t

[*]: For your shadenfreude files: it _amazes_ me how long it takes for
a thriving household financial state (mine a couple years ago) to
completely stop working.  I thought mine was completely done for about
60-75 days ago, but now think I was off by about 90 days.   Not that
things are still healthy enough that I'll stand a chance of getting a
good mortgage rate any time soon :-) (as if it matters).