Subject: Re: [coallesced replies] Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: Nick Jennings <nkj@namodn.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 18:35:32 -0800

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 05:28:40PM -0800, Brian J. Fox wrote:

>    Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 10:45:39 -0800 (PST)
>    From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>
>
>    Absolutely: control over the harware platform is critical.  Computers
>    need to be more like phones: cheap and swappable and relentlessly
>    standardized in this area.  Is it a rental model we want?  A shelf of
>    endorsed hw at CompUSA?  a page at Dell's web site?
>
> Of course, this model was in fact the rage of 1999.  Network
> "appliances" which were cheap or free, but were service-locked to an
> ISP, and could have their software updated at any time by that service
> provider.
>
> It failed, mostly because people didn't want to be service-locked.

 What about if the service in question was not "locked" in the way that
 some services can be switched to others providing the same service?

 For instance, if this service was standardized and well-documented for
 the possibility of others to implement, people could switch service
 as they switch ISP's these days.

 Also, the functionality of the system can still be usefull even if the
 service is disconnect (or otherwise not available), due to the local
 caching filesystem.

- Nick Jennings