Subject: Re: [coallesced replies] Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 07:26:14 -0800

   Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 18:37:49 -0800
   From: Rob Helmer <robert@namodn.com>

   I think all of these could be addressed in a way that's
   transparent to the user, they just *use* the computer.

Herein lies the value problem.  Why should I pay you for something
that I think I already have?  (I.e., just using my computer.)

   Not to say that these things won't happen, I'm sure
   they will, to some extent. The differnces is that
   they can be dealt and fixed for the users without
   them having to get involved.

I believe that statement is a dangerous mis-characterization of
reality.  Simple scenario:  User installs favortite image viewer,
which overwrites system library -- service provider upgrades user's
computer, breaking image viewer.  That is the meaning of "program X
isn't supported".

Brian
--
More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
  Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800