Subject: Re: [coallesced replies] Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:22:29 +0000

Hi,

> > Personally, I don't think Windows is any easier to maintain than
> > Linux, but all the maintenance tools are GUI.
>
> This is false if not for any other reason than the majority of the
> population is more familiar with Windows than Linux. It's not
> something you can ignore and simply base your conclusion on an
> informed evaluation of the two products without taking this into
> consideration.

Why not target currently non-computer owners?  Those that would like
email and a webcam for seeing the grandchildren, and surf the web for
their genealogy hobby, but find a full-blown OS at their finger tips too
intimidating?  The `gray army' has leisure time and money.  A lot of
them have a computer, some of them running Linux, but an awful lot don't
have anything.

Cheers,

Ralph.