Subject: Re: [coallesced replies] Re: how to create 21,780 new free software jobs (2,530 in R&D)
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:16:32 +0900

    Chris> I think the network appliance companies failed because they
    Chris> were not giving away general purpose computers.

That could be true.  But if you try to do netapp on general purpose
computer, you're likely to fail _because_ you're giving away general
purpose computers.  I.e., people will find ways to use the computer to
do precisely the things that you want them to pay for.  That's why
thin clients are designed to be thin, I think; not to skimp on the
hardware so much, but to maintain a lock on the revenue stream.

So you need to watch out for that.