Subject: The Ransom Model of Software Publishing
From: Adam Theo <theo@theoretic.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:43:35 -0500

Hi, all, Adam Theo here.

It's been a long time since I've been active on the list. Been busy in
other projects, not leaving enough time for me to theorize about how to
make money with Free Software :-)

Last time I was here I was starting a project to develop a model of
software publishing that would allow developers to be compensated for
their effort based on the true value of their work, not based on how
many copies they could sell by creating an artificial supply. It also
allows the public to get new free software that they otherwise may not
have had.

In short: "Ransom is a software publishing model where the rights to the
source code remain restricted until a set amount of money is collected
or a set date passes, at which point the code is freed" (from the Ransom
website <http://www.theoretic.com/?Ransom>).

This model is *not* meant to replace pure Free Software. It is meant to
replace pure *proprietary* software and fund difficult projects that may
not otherwise become Free Software easily, so please keep that in mind
as you read the website <http://www.theoretic.com/?Ransom>.

The project fell to the wayside along with my activity on this list. But
at the prompting of a Mr. Brian Shire of Tekrat Labs
<http://www.tekrat.com> and the help of a Mr. Rodrigo Pimentel who
posted a recent Slashdot story on Ransom
<http://www.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/23/2313213>, I have made
the time to get the project back up and running and give it a major
facelift/update.

I am asking for participation in the discussion list
<http://lists.theoretic.com/mailman/listinfo/ransom> to help us develop
the model and make it ready for prime-time use. We are finishing up
detailing the requirements and vision, and will soon be moving on to
developing at least 3 "Ransom Licenses". Please, if you have just an
hour a week to spare, sign up for the list. It is low-voume (average 10
posts a week, I estimate), and even a small input here and there will
help us make sure we are going in the right direction.

URLS:
* Ransom Website: http://www.theoretic.com/?Ransom
* Slashdot Article: http://www.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/23/2313213