Subject: Re: Paper on dual licensing
From: Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 16:57:55 -0800 (PST)

> 	A "practical value" means that:
>
> 	1) customers directly benefit from it
> 	2) it's ecologically sensible

In the ecology you mention, is the mere existence of a large base of
open knowledge products an ecologically advantageous situation?

Isn't CPAN roughly equivalent to free education in this ecology, or
maybe a library?  It seems you are trying to draw a practical
distinction based on the costs to an ecology of the existence of FOSS.

If you agree that the percentage of people benefiting from FOSS in
both the software development communities and in business communities
is large and growing, don't you have to make a case that the costs outweigh
those benefits?

In 2) you are asking if FOSS has a net cost to the ecology that is the
set of all software developers, while in 1) you are asking if FOSS has
a net cost to the ecology that is the set of all software users.  I
believe that there is a net benefit in both cases, and that this is
inevitable in an open society.  In a more closed society, we won't see
the evolution towards FOSS that see now.  We would have to wait for
the society itself to evolve into an open one, which would be a
bummer.

-Rich

Rich Bodo | rsb@ostel.com | 650-964-4678