Subject: Re: gdb
From: Joseph Arceneaux <jla@arceneaux.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:40:20 -0800

   Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 18:01:07 -0500 (EST)
   From: "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.org>
   CC: ghost@aladdin.com, fsb@crynwr.com, jla@arceneaux.com, bb@wv.com

      Well, I just ran "xxgdb", and it looks a lot better than the last time
      I ran it.  Take a look see.

   ddd is probably superior to xxgdb...

Hmm, well this is another problem with free software - if all the
effort applied to making 3 versions of a free debugger (I presume
that's what ddd is) were applied to addressing the issues Peter
mentioned, gdb might indeed be the best debugger.

A related issue here is the GUI.  rms has been consistently against
devoting any effort to GUIs, and yet such effort would have advanced
the cause of free software a long way.

E.g., I sent rms changes to gud.el which, amoung other things, replace
the stupid ascii arrow pointer with a highlighted line which is much
easier to see.  This is only about 10-20 lines of code, but he never
installed it.

Joe