Subject: Re: Idea: Free Software Funding Protocol
From: "Benjamin J. Tilly " <ben_tilly@operamail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:16:34 +0500

Norbert Bollow <nb@thinkcoach.com> wrote:
> Here's an idea for funding Free Software development... I don't know
> whether it's new; if it is, I'll probably want to call it something
> like "Free Software Funding Protocol".
>

> It goes like this:
>
> (1) Some person or organization (referred to as "Steward" hereafter)
>     publishes a Vision for a new Free Software project, or for
>     improving an existing project.
[...]
> (4) The Steward uses the donated funds to pay people to implement
>     the Vision.  These developers can be hired as employees or as
>    independant contractors.  [...]
>
> What do you think about this idea?

What do I honestly think?

There will be far too many volunteers to be Stewards,
and most of them will be exactly the wrong people for
that role.  I am sure that most of us can readily fill
in a few names of people that we think would volunteer
for the "grand vision" role - think through the names
that you come up with and I think my point is made.
After a few painful failures, any business that was
willing to give the benefit of the doubt to this idea
will be convinced otherwise.

Sorry, but that is my reaction.

Disclaimer: I am feeling generally cynical in general
right now...

Cheers,
Ben