Subject: Re: Idea: Free Software Funding Protocol
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:32:16 -0800

   From: Norbert Bollow <nb@thinkcoach.com>
   Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:34:36 +0100 (CET)

   Here's an idea for funding Free Software development... I don't know
   whether it's new; if it is, I'll probably want to call it something
   like "Free Software Funding Protocol".

The for-profit version of this model was Cygnus, no?

GCC development (at cygnus) was funded by more than one purchaser --
but those who purchased had their needs met first.

In short, this model sounds to me like standard vaporware sales
tactics.  You will still need salespeople and other business
infrastructure, and those things have cost associated with them.

Or did I miss something?

Brian
--
More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
  Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800