Subject: Re: a stocks and dividends question
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 02:52:27 +0900

    Jerry> I think that "double taxation" mostly is a pejorative term
    Jerry> to say that "I don't like it."

To take the flip side, it's a way of pointing out the hypocrisy of
politicians and unionists who claim the tax rate on profits is "low"
compared to that on wages.  A plague on both your houses.  :-(

    Jerry> On the last point, some (a fair number of?) economists
    Jerry> would eliminate the "double taxation" that you mention.

I don't know any economists who aren't in favor of drastic
simplification of the tax code (including the two who worked for the
IRS!)  Do you?  There are great differences over whether the
simplification should be "revenue neutral", whether it should be flat
or progressive, and how the different plans would affect the economy
overall, of course.