Subject: Re: a stocks and dividends question
From: robin <robin@roblimo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:47:43 -0500

> Of course, if there are no outside investors, this isn't a problem.  I
> wonder what proportion of capital in the US is invested in businesses
> that *aren't* publically traded: self-employed people, the software
> shops that roblimo mentions, family-run laundries and restaurants, etc.

I wonder about this myself, and if someone wanted to pay me to research
this and come up with an estimate, I suspect I'd come up with a much
higher figure than you'd get from academic/government economists,
because I believe they severely underestimate the influence of the
casual (what they call "underground") economy.

Of course, I've spent 15+ years in the cab/limo business off and on; my
family has primarily been self-employed for several generations; and my
wife's family is in a bunch of (mostly cash) small businesses, too, so I
have access to information sources that aren't open to most "straight"
researchers.

- Robin