Subject: Re: truly back to topic, Info Week poll on open source
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:19:54 +0900

    Jean> I thought that the question was clearly biased against open
    Jean> source.

Hm.  I took it the other way, that not-very-bright pollsters simply
assumed that Open Source was a "motherhood and apple pie" issue, and
were curious about distinguishing between the lazy non-converts and
the confirmed heathen.  (Of course I'm aware that Infoworld wouldn't
put it that way.)

But you're right it would _really_ be interesting to see how many of
the "Yes" respondents would go so far as "Yes, and are fundamentally
opposed to closed source for critical apps."

That lack _does_ bias the interpretation, but I don't really think
that biases the "considering switching" numbers.  They'd come out of
the "Yes" group, mostly.

    Jean> Given the construction of the poll I thought the numbers
    Jean> were pretty good.

I'd say _remarkable_.  For Infoweek readers?!  YOW!  I can SEE the
TRAIN OF WORLD DOMINATION leavin' th' STATION!

Thanks for the post, Jean!