Subject: Re: GPL Compliance Toolset
From: Chip Mefford <cpm@well.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 14:02:22 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Greg Broiles wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 11:07:36AM -0800, Chip Mefford wrote:
> > As I work in a UCITA state (Va) I got hoarse screaming about
> > this a long time ago.
> >
> > In short, "Open Source" isn't enough. If it isn't GNU software,
> > [....]
> > Bring UCITA into the equation, look carefully at the liability
> > issues, and it really becomes a no-brainer.
>
> Your claim that "If UCITA is a terrible danger, we must all use
> GPL software" is logically reasonable.
>
> The difficult part is that most people reject your premise - they
> do not believe that UCITA is a terrible danger - so they never
> hear the rest of your argument.
> [....]

Greg,

The stunning truth of your response shut me up for a long
time. I just realised that I had let this email cool for too
long.

Thanks for the reality check. I've been hollaring at brick
walls for years. Nothing has come of it.

In fact, aside from your reply on this list, the silence
on this issue continues to deafen me.

have to rethink pretty much everything.