Subject: Re: Ransom GPL Licensing: ethically and legally viable?
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:06:35 -0800

   Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:22:57 -0700
   From: Brian Shire <shire@tekrat.com>

   >    That the Ransom model interferes with code re-use is a specific
   >    consequence of the freedoms being sacrificed.  It's bad for people
   >    because it gives them incentive to sacrifice liberty and community.
   >    It's bad for business because it raises "the transaction costs of
   >    cooperation".
   >
   > Alert the media... I agree with Tom.

   You've inspired me! From now on everything I do is for the
   community.  I'll have to quite my job and move into the street to
   support the extra projects, but hey, it's for the community.  btw,
   who is the community?  Isn't it the guys moving out into the street
   so they can code for the community?  I know this is a bit dramatic,
   but who do you think is paying the rent?

Gee, as anyone who has seen me lately, I, and my family of five, are
eating just fine.  That doesn't mean that I haven't made, am currently
making, and will continue to make, free software.  You're probably
using some of it right now to increase your productivity for your boss
at work.  Maybe (s)he could donate some money earned from your
increased productivity back into the FS pot?

BTW, in a crude sense, this is what Tom likes to suggest (I believe,
and this is not an invitation to flame me, Tom).

Brian
--
More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
  Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800