Subject: Re: Ransom GPL Licensing: ethically and legally viable?
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2003 14:34:36 -0800

Brian Shire <shire@tekrat.com> writes:

> I'm sorry for the previous sarcasm, but you do bring forward a good
> example: do you support yourself fulltime on the open source
> software you develop, excluding services?  If you don't, could you
> do a better work if you did?  Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to
> have a gift society.  But there's no motivation to ensure
> contributions back to the FS world.

Why do you exclude services?  Who is in a better position to provide
services associated with software than the author?

> Yes my previous employer uses several of my open source software
> projects, in addition to many other companies, but they won't donate
> any money earned from the 'increased productivity' into the FS pot,
> what motivation do they have to do so?

What if their choices are

1) Full price proprietary software
2) No software
3) Donations to encourage free software

?

I doubt many companies would buy this argument with respect to direct
monetary donations.  But certainly some companies buy this argument
with respect to paying people to work at least part time on free
software.

Ian