Subject: Re: Ransom GPL Licensing: ethically and legally viable?
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:56:09 -0800

   Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:35:08 -0700
   From: Brian Shire <shire@tekrat.com>

   On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:06:35PM -0800, Brian J. Fox wrote:

   > You're probably using some of it [FS] right now to increase your
   > productivity for your boss at work.  Maybe (s)he could donate
   > some money earned from your increased productivity back into the
   > FS pot?

   do you support yourself fulltime on the open source
   software you develop, excluding services?
No.

   If you don't, could you do a better work if you did?

What's "a better work?"  If you mean "better work", I guess the
question is still the same -- how are you quantifying "better?"

   Yes my previous employer uses several of my open source software
   projects, in addition to many other companies, but they won't
   donate any money earned from the 'increased productivity' into the
   FS pot, what motivation do they have to do so?

If they paid for you to develop the FS that you developed there (and
got compensated by them to do so), then they *have* contributed to the
creation of FS.  If they are benefitting from the use of FS developed
at other companies, that explains their motivations, and we are on the
way to a world of FS.  So what's the problem here?

Brian
--
More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
  Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800