Subject: Re: Ransom GPL Licensing: ethically and legally viable?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: 20 Feb 2003 13:20:33 +0900

    Brian> 5 years is too long and would be exactly like a proprietary
    Brian> model

It's not hard to imagine projects that would take five years to break
even.  Does that mean that the Ransom License is a priori inapplicable
to them?

    Brian> (do I really need to explain this?)

Yes.  Your honor is not in question; I would buy a non-contractual
promise to free software from you.  So it's also not surprising that
you wouldn't offer a 5-year, $50-million ransom.  But I wouldn't
hesitate to make such a ransom, if I thought I had a product that
good.[1]  How is Simo supposed to interpret that?  How are you supposed
to deal with how my abusive (!?) ransom affects _your_ reputation as a
Ransom License advocate and user?

Footnotes:
[1]  I doubt that I would consider Ransom the best business model.
But if I had decided to use Ransom, I would set terms according to
quality of product, not effort.