From: Bjorn Reese <breese@mail1.stofanet.dk>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:19:11 +0000

Tom Lord wrote:

> I'll add that, as cold hearted capitalists, we should all be comparing
> the cost of the most ridiculously cloak-and-dagger exploit against
> the potential returns.

That is exactly what critical systems enterprises do. They list
the risks, the impact and likelihood of occurrence, and create
contingency plans. There is an entire research field and industry
based on Risk Management. The risks you mention are pretty much
standard concerns.

Furthermore, third-party components (in this case, software from
RHAT) is not deployed without going through extensive testing first.
For example, testing periods of one or two years are not unusual
in the military. In such situations the "release early, release
often" mantra is not necessarily seen as an advantage.