Subject: Re: hmm
From: Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:29:35 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Benjamin J. Tilly  wrote:

> Any engineer who designed a mechanical system that
> people's jobs depend on which only continues to work as
> long as a pencil remains balanced is being silly.
> Anyone whose job depends on that engineer's design
> working is being stupid.  Either figure out how to
> clamp that pencil so that it is stable in the
> onfiguration that you want, or else go back to the
> drawing board because it ain't going to work.

I'm probably getting a little OT, but your that comment has promted a
runaway train of thought that I would like to share.  It's sometimes
necessary to include inherent instability in your design criteria.
Many robots and aircraft, like pencils on their tips, hold themselves
in unstable positions during operation.  They remain unstable, but
their inherent instability is handled by fast feedback systems.

When he talks about feedback loops and the paradox of logical
indeterminacy I interpret Soros as describing a sort of uncertainty
principle that makes it difficult to view any economic system as
stable.  What he basically says is this: Exchange rates affect
fundamentals of economies.  Fundamentals affect exchange rates.  This
can get into a runaway feedback loop, one way or the other.  If you
predict a direction to the feedback loop, you influence it, if you're
a player.  Even if you don't tell anyone, you have realized it's
existence, and therefore affect your own behaviour, which has some
bearing on the situation, or the potential of the situation, small or
large.  When everyone recognizes this, markets become inherently
unstable.  He therefore argues for strong market authorities.  He
wants control systems in place.  It's not a totally absurd theory.

Maybe the Soros Uncertainty Principle has some tricky workarounds like
quantam teleportation does.  There are plenty of spooky phenomenon in
sociology to research.  Wouldn't it be a blast?  My guess is that we
won't penetrate entagled minds so readily as we have the entangled
photons.  It's a wonderful thought to me, though.

-Rich