Subject: Re: that "discard" thing
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:14:59 +0900

    Tom> I'm going to go a just a _little_ further out on this limb
    Tom> and try to reply simply and earnestly.

Tom, please change the tune.  The silence of certain members of this
list is drowning out your words.

    Tom> The subset who specialize in business struck me as genuinely
    Tom> interested not _only_ in their personal success, but also in
    Tom> _building_an_industry_ that grows, and treats its workers
    Tom> well, and produces a responsible and valuable product.  I
    Tom> think that's a sane and healthy balance.  We could call it
    Tom> "conscious capitalism".

I prefer to call it by the name of its most successful[sic]
implementation to date:  "Japan, Inc."  I consider this implementation
neither sane nor healthy, and I'm more sympathetic than most of the
non-Japanese I know.

Furthermore, that passage is not so far different from Bill Gates's
self-description, or those of many of the 19th century robber barons.

Until the proponents of "conscious capitalism" deal consciously with
these two degenerative tendencies, I doubt that it can possibly be
realized.

     > The summer after I graduated from MIT, I had to hustle for temp
     > jobs to pay for rent and food.  The last temp job I had before
     > landing full-time work was as a third-shift data-entry clerk
     > for UPS.

    Tom> At the same time, I think it is important that we do not
    Tom> valorize those occurences.  They are not the goal.

Speak for yourself.  For most of us, it may be the only chance we have
to draw parallels between ourselves and Einstein.  :-)