Subject: Re: Intro and question
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:07:29 -0800

   Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:53:52 -0500
   From: Faber Fedor <faber@linuxnj.com>

   So, my question in this email (I've got another one or two coming) is:
   is it possible to build a business without a large nest egg?

Yes.  Here's how.

      1) Converse with the consultants you might want to hire, and
	 find out if they are available for 2 months from now.
	 Explain that you get more work than you can handle, and you
	 would like to offload some of it.

      2) Book more business than you can handle -- double book your
         time.  Explain to your clients that they are booking your
         company, not you personally, and you will be supplying the
         consultant with the right level of expertise for their
         problem.

      3) Charge your client more than you pay your consultant.

      4) Repeat as necessary until you are one of the big 5.

   Everything I read assumes I've got 100K USD lying around or can get it.
   Well, I don't and I can't.  The people I talked to had or borrowed 10 -
   100 K USD; they're a bit secretive on how the got it/borrowed it to
   boot.

Getting 10k is usually pretty straightforward if you've cultivated
good relationships with friends and family.  Many people have $500 to
$1000 dollars that they can get you on a short term loan, and many
banks will grant you that kind of line-of-credit if you are a good
customer with good credit.

But you don't need to borrow money -- you just need more clients.  If
you have more business than you can handle, there are a lot of people
who would like to do some work, and are looking for jobs.  Overbook,
and your growth problems will go away.  (They are another set of
problems associated with being a larger firm than just a company of
one, but you might not mind those.)

Just my opinion,

Brian
--
More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
  Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800