Subject: Re: that "discard" thing
From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:33:30 -0800 (PST)

       Software, as most people on this list have heard over and over,
       is what economists call a "non-rival" good -- I can give mine
       to you without losing what I have.

That may be more or less true for free software that already exists,
but it isn't true for free software that doesn't exist yet.

	So it wouldn't surprise me that in "the state of nature", so
	to speak, production of one non-rival good is only rewarded by
	another non-rival good.

With apologies to Charles Schultz, I can picture Peppermint Patty
standing before her class reading "This is my report on free software
which, as we all know, comes from FTP sites."

-t