Subject: Re: Intro and question
From: Peter Wayner <pcw2@flyzone.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:41:30 -0500

>Speaking of brand, our now world-famous animal imagery was a gift to us, an
>"open source" contribution if you will, by a designer who was a friend of
>one of our writers.  She thought that the Unix programs we wrote about
>sounded like weird animals, and whipped up the design over a weekend when we
>were struggling with possible covers for the books.

If I'm not mistaken, most of the art seems to be taken from Dover
books, a famous publisher of copyright free material. They were open
source before open source was cool. In fact, they were publishing
before the term "open source" or "free software" even existed.
Probably before many computers even existed.

-Peter