Subject: Re: hmm
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:45:10 +0900

    Jean> To sum up the argument: we have been making increasingly
    Jean> narrow decisions based on the idea of economic man. This has
    Jean> very real problems.

    Jean> Maybe we should expand the theory to include those things
    Jean> that are mathematically complex.

It's not the mathematical complexity that's the problem.  Max Planck
had the choice of physics or economics, and chose physics on the
ground that economics was too easy.  Bertrand Russell had the choice
of mathematics or economics, and chose mathematics on the grounds that
economics was too hard.  Both were absolutely correct, because Planck
was talking about the analytical tools, and Russell about the modeling.