Subject: Re: hmm
From: Jean Camp <jean_camp@harvard.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:01:07 -0500

At 12:45 PM +0900 2/28/03, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>  >>>>> "Jean" == Jean Camp <jean_camp@harvard.edu> writes:
>
>     Jean> To sum up the argument: we have been making increasingly
>     Jean> narrow decisions based on the idea of economic man. This has
>     Jean> very real problems.
>
>     Jean> Maybe we should expand the theory to include those things
>     Jean> that are mathematically complex.
>
>It's not the mathematical complexity that's the problem.  Max Planck
>had the choice of physics or economics, and chose physics on the
>ground that economics was too easy.  Bertrand Russell had the choice
>of mathematics or economics, and chose mathematics on the grounds that
>economics was too hard.  Both were absolutely correct, because Planck
>was talking about the analytical tools, and Russell about the modeling.

BR choose logic, philosophy and peace activism. Don't confuse
economics and philosophy. You already confused it with physics and
policy.

To be a discipline a thing has to have _borders_ and some founding
ideas. Rational selfishness is a founding idea of modern orthodox
economics.

FSB context: the problem is that the models for innovation all fail
for FSBs. There is some theory about why people contribute and some
small theories of altruism. But it is hard to quantify what is
essentially a culture of gifts, demand for freedom, self-respect*,
and joy of fine craftsmanship on a model that begins by defining
these out of existence. While there exists model extensions that
allow that FSBs exists and can somehow be explained, but these are
circles within circles to explain how the earth is the center of the
solar system.

The more I think about FSBs the more revolutionary they become.

You go guys.

-Jean

*such as an unwillingness to release code you would be ashamed of
others examining