Subject: Re: $1,250
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:38:33 -0800

   Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:55:08 -0800 (PST)
   From: Tom Lord <lord@emf.net>

	   People are not machines under your control.  The world, in
	   fact, is not a machine under your control.  This surprises you
	   every couple of months when you don't have money for food or
	   housing.

   That's really very far from an accurate characterization of my world
   view.   I _can_ see how you might think so, but really, you missed.

Sorry.  Please show me something else.

   [ more stuff elided ]

   I'm not going to claim I'm doing things right -- obviously not (by the
   effect).  But I also am not doing things _completely_ wrong because
   (a) Amazingly, I'm still here; (b) The arch user community has grown a
   bit, but what I've really liked is that the oldest members are getting
   distinctly more sophisticated in their thinking and contributions.
   They've also gotten better at helping newbies to the list.  (c) Some
   of the users are working on getting "project wins" for arch in other
   free software projects that they're part of.  So, you know, in spite
   of tough economic times; in spite of not being able to engage the
   vendors; in spite of my apparently clumsy and polarizing approach to
   public relations -- the project continues to inch along what is
   traditionally a successful path for free software projects (just a
   little too slowly, financially speaking).   So, hey, forgive me for
   trying these things if it bugs you so much -- but it hasn't been a
   completely irrational thing to do.

By removing the part of your post that I responded to, and by
responding to my post as if it had something to do with "arch", you
have created a conversation with yourself. . . again.

I'm not talking about arch here, I was talking about your statement
that vendors _should_ do such-and-such, and other people that you want
to have contact with _should_ behave a certain way.

BTW, I assume that arch is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and
I also doubt that I will explore it further; my concern is that if I
have a suggestion that doesn't fit your plan, or wish to use it in a
way that isn't in your view, you won't support me in that, and will
vehemently argue against it.  This (lack of support) makes your work
almost useless to me -- a sad thing, since it is probably quite a
clever piece of work.

Brian
--
More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
  Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800