Subject: Re: Developers/Free Software/Open Source
From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller <robin@roblimo.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 12:02:29 -0500

>>There are two basic ways to approach art/writing/music/programming:
>>
>>1 - Scratch my own itch
>>
>>2 - Find a need and fill it
>>

>   1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive.

True. If your passion is running a used car lot, and you acquire the
skills to do it well, you will be happy and prosperous. I havea
neighbor who owns a small used car lot and loves his work. He enjoys
sales, he's a car fanatic, and he'd rather work 80 hours/week in his own
business than 40 hours for someone else. We should all be in Tony's
position!

The rest of us must either find needs our itch-scratching will fill or
develop a passion for filling some sort of need.

- Robin