Subject: Re: Initial thoughts on IBM-SCO Lawsuit, and Implications for FSBs
From: Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:21:38 -0500

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 08:01:27AM -0800, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> Initial thoughts on the IBM-SCO Lawsuit, and Implications for FSBs
>
> It's still early and we don't yet have a lot of details, but allow me
> to begin to speculate on the implications of the SCO-IBM lawsuit for
> Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) developers and Free Software
> Businesses (FSBs).

A lot of the speculation revolves around the terms "SCO", "IBM",
"Linux" and "Lawsuit" being used together in the same story. Open
source advocates, FSBs and the like are naturally jumping to
conclusions on the relationship between those terms because there's
precious little detail so far to determine how they are actually linked.

According to this eWeek story, the lawsuit revolves around IBM's
participation Project Monterey to bring one unified UNIX to Itanium.
IBM has been working on getting Linux working on Itanium, and
dropped out of Monterey.

        http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,3668,a=38189,00.asp

The trade secrets in question seem to relate to Monterey, not
generic use of "UNIX IP" like awk, bc, cron and device drivers.

If this is indeed the case (a big if, because details are still
sketchy), this lawsuit is not necessarily a threat to other Linux
vendors specifically, or open source hackers in general.  Which is
what SCO has been maintaining thus far.

Z.

PS: IANAL; this happened to crop up on Google News a little while ago.