Subject: Re: Research questions WRT SCO's complaint
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby@henkel-wallace.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:20:35 -0800

On Saturday, Mar 8, 2003, at 21:12 America/Los_Angeles, Karsten M. Self
wrote:
> on Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 03:45:55PM -0800, DV Henkel-Wallace
> (gumby@henkel-wallace.org) wrote:
>> [...bunch of antedeluvian crap I wrote elided...]
>> At
>> UCB the vax was the machine of choice and there were lots of them,
>> including the biggies.  I first installed a BSD distribution on a Vax
>> 11/780 in 1982 in Paris.
>
> Excellent.
>
> Mind if I quote this?

Be my guest, FWIW to you.  BTW my last sentence above was to sort of
indicate how late that was: I have never been much of a fan of Unix and
for me to do that installation meant that people at UCB had been doing
a lot of work on the code.  In fact, Sun was founded that year, so when
Bill Joy joined later that year all his work at UCB was by definition
behind him.  BTW Gilmore was hired by Sun to port BSD Unix to the 68k.

Still, I think it's the x86 that matters to your case and for that
Ian's message is more important.  I'd forgotten Jolix; certainly as he
said Xenix predated SCO since SCO licensed the code.  Yuck.

>> Remember that this all predates the commercial use of the Internet, so
>> you have to go to dead trees.
>
> What!  There was life before the Internet?

Well of course there was the ARPAnet, and eventually CSnet and such
which, when hooked together I supposed were the first Internet, but I
really meant before commercial use was accepted.