Subject: Re: Research questions WRT SCO's complaint
From: Bjorn Reese <breese@mail1.stofanet.dk>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 12:14:01 +0000

"Karsten M. Self" wrote:

>   - What x86 Unices have there been?  When did they emerge?  I'm aware
>     of Xenix (which became SCO), Solaris X86, BSDi, FreeBSD, OpenBSD,

Please note that SCO owns two different Unices: UnixWare and
OpenServer. They have different origins, so it may be important
to distinguish between the two. OpenServer originates from Xenix,
UnixWare from the original UNIX.

>   - Unix marketshare.  Does anyone have values for breakdown of
>     marketshare through the 1990s of the major Unix flavors?  My
>     understanding is that SCO was never much more than a bit player in
>     the x86 market.  Possibly a fair number of deployments, but low
>     overall valuation.

SCO used to be the leader in the x86 market.

The only numbers I could find was from the press release below,
claiming 40% of the market -- although the numbers only seem to
include commercial Unices. If you go further back a couple of
years, I seem to recall that they had the same market share,
even if you count the free Unices, but I cannot find any number
to confirm this.

http://stage.caldera.com/press/releases/1998/6805.html