Subject: Re: gdb
From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 97 11:47 PST

> I just got ddd and compiled it, and it looks and acts like modern
> graphical debuggers, with more control and features than I have seen
> in other, proprietery, graphical debuggers.

According to the information on the sunsite archive, ddd requires either
Motif (a major non-freed package) or LessTif (which according to the sunsite
directory is still in alpha status), either of which would require replacing
the window manager.  I might be willing to try it out some rainy day when
I'm willing to spend the entire day struggling with the installation
procedure for the window manager (which of course will require completely
rewriting the configuration file I use for initial window setup) and ddd
itself.  Of course, I'll have to upgrade my Linux installation first,
because I'm sure this month's RPMs aren't compatible with Red Hat 3.0.3.

xxgdb doesn't have these dependencies.  However, the sunsite archive of
xxgdb is dated December 1994, except for a Linux-specific patch in January
1996.  Apparently no development has been done on it (at least on the Linux
version) for 3 years.

--

L. Peter Deutsch         |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost@aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave. | tel. +1-650-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-650-322-1734