Subject: Re: gdb
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:19:40 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, L. Peter Deutsch wrote:
> > I just got ddd and compiled it, and it looks and acts like modern
> > graphical debuggers, with more control and features than I have seen
> > in other, proprietery, graphical debuggers.
>
> According to the information on the sunsite archive, ddd requires either
> Motif (a major non-freed package) or LessTif (which according to the sunsite
> directory is still in alpha status), either of which would require replacing
> the window manager.

It is possible to run Motif applications, such as Netscape or Mosaic,
without running the Motif window manager.  The only advantage to changing
your window manager is that your applications won't visually clash with
your window manager.  This is important to some people, but others don't
care.  At any rate, it is not a *requirement*.

I suspect that the meaning of `alpha' has shifted a bit, too -- KDE was in
`alpha' until a couple of months ago, but it was still considerably
stabler than the current version of the Windows 95 GUI.  Modest
programmers, I guess.

Kragen