Subject: Re: gdb
From: "Adam J. Richter" <adam@yggdrasil.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 23:02:53 -0800

Peter Deutsch writes:
>Is there one out there [a free Purify-like program] that I don't know
>about?

	ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/devel/lang/c/Checker-0.8.tgz

	I believe that there is another much older GPL'ed program, ae
("abstract execution") that was intended to achieve results similar to
checker and Purify but by intevening somewhere in the gcc compiler.  I
believe this approach was supposed to enable much more functionality.
I think that ae was basically the result of a research project that
was GPL'ed and released to the world just because releasing it was a
nice thing to do and that there has been no ongoing maintenance of it.

>This brings up another question.  Why does it seem to me to be so much
>harder to find freed tools than commercial ones?

	I don't think it is harder.  In this case, for example, every
major release of checker has been announced on comp.os.linux.announce,
and, besides, sunsite is pretty well divided into topics.  You could
well have found it just by browsing the directory tree on sunsite.

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."