Subject: Re: Open Source Developer Exchange (Economics)
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:54:47 +0100

Julius Steyn wrote:

> Hallo gentlemen,
>
> You may recall my debut under the above subject heading on this mailing list
> during late March. Again thank you for the constructive feedback received
> from members of the list. I have since collated all the findings of several
> months' research and joined forces with other members on this mailing list.
> Our focus was simple:
>
> "How to leverage the advantages, culture and experience of Open Source and
> to integrate these with the demands of business customers to such a degree
> that Open Source can become a better provider of business critical
> software - with lasting benefits to both developers and business customers"
>
> We developed an Operating Model and business strategy based on the feedback,
> research and challenges discussed in the summary essay that followed. Many
> existing and past business models were investigated each have their own
> unique characteristics, benefits and advantages. Some of the 13 business
> models that we investigated included; Sourceforge, SourceXchange, Collabnet,
> Elance, sologig, rent-a-coder, experts exchange, free agent, asynchrony,
> etc. Although we are confident about our strategies and the proposed
> business model we are at a stage that we respectfully seek your advice and
> input. I have summarised the basics of the Operating Model at the location
> below and will provide a detail strategy and business solution during the
> latter part of this week, your feedback is critical to finalise some of the
> key aspects of the business solution.
> http://www.devcity.org/opsmodel/
> I look forward to your constructive response, criticism, comments and
> discussion about some/all of the initiatives mentioned in the above essay.

IMO, one of the things that went wrong with SourceXchange was that there
was too much focus on price, so the good coders didn't bid, and the
successful bidders tended to be flakey or not of high quality (of
course, this was by no means universally true). So, I'm concerned that
you quote as critical: "Teams can bid against each other to ensure that
the customer can obtain the best price" - it isn't just about price.
Getting the best value for money is what it is about.

Cheers,

Ben.