Subject: Re: Open Source companies with offices in San Francisco?
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:35:26 +0900

    Brian> I'll be using the Largo and Munich examples, but if someone
    Brian> knows of other good municipal examples (especially if
    Brian> you're aware of any cross-municipal projects, e.g. an open
    Brian> source project for software used by food banks or libraries
    Brian> or schools) that would be deeply appreciated.  It's a short
    Brian> meeting so we don't need overwhelming evidence, just enough
    Brian> to know they aren't the only ones who'd be giving this a
    Brian> try.

According to surveys done for the Japanese Association of Prefectural
and Municipal Governments ("local governments"), about 2% of local
government servers run Linux, another 4% run "other Unix" (which might
or might not be FLOSS) -- Dec 2001, and Apache has a dominating 63.4%
of the webservers -- Jul 2002.

Ichimiya City of Aichi Prefecture is running a web-based disaster
information system built with MySQL and Perl, and (as of late 2002)
was on offer to other local governments but my student didn't know if
there were any takers.  At that time it had not been tested in a real
disaster situation.