Subject: Re: Open Source companies with offices in San Francisco?
From: "David Kaufman" <david@gigawatt.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:45:50 -0400

Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net> wrote:
> I'll be meeting next week with the Mayor's office here in San
> Francisco to discuss municipal adoption of free and open source
> software.  I'd like to collect a list of all companies (or
> independent contractors) who we would consider a part of the "free
> software business" community, with offices in San Francisco, [...]
> I'll be using the Largo and Munich examples, but if someone knows of
> other good municipal examples [...] that would be deeply
> appreciated.

here's a particularly relavent excerpt from a a recent areticle from

The CIO Information Network - July 18, 2003
"Across the Country, Local Governments Are Giving Linux a Hard Look"
http://www.cioupdate.com/trends/article.php/2237451

- Garden Grove, Calif., and Bloomington, Indiana also both run much of
  their IT operations on Linux servers. In Bloomington, the city's
  emergency dispatch system, running on Linux, dispatches 7,000
  ambulance calls a year, as well as police and fire crews, for both
  the city and surrounding Monroe County.

- The Houston, Texas, city government runs its Web and domain name
  servers on Red Hat Linux.

- An IBM mainframe belonging to Pinellas County, Florida is home to a
  database of county court records, which can be searched by the
  county's 900,000 citizens. The system, running on Linux and IBM's
  WebSphere middleware, gets more than 50,000 hits a month.

- The email system for the Los Angeles school district runs on Linux.

- Other school systems, such as the one in Portland, Ore., are
  installing Linux-based thin clients in classrooms for student use.

- Cincinnati, Ohio, Newport News, Virg., St. Louis, Missouri, and
  Austin, Tex., among other cities, are also reported to be either
  using Linux or seriously evaluating it as well. A number of smaller
  governments -- Jefferson County, Colo., St. George, Utah
  (population 50,000), and Chappaqua, NY (pop. 15,000), for example --
  are also using Linux.

  So are various departments in state governments across the country,
  including Rhode Island, Texas, Washington State and Oregon. "Every
  agency of any size in the State of Oregon is probably using open
  source at some level," says Deborah Bryant, an IT policy planner
  for the state's Department of Administrative Services.

hth,

-dave