Subject: Re: FSB economics/industry research suggestions requested
From: Rich Bodo <rsb@ostel.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 20:53:29 -0800 (PST)

Stephen,

Just some ideas:

	I suspect the OSS-PC market has done far more for the
economies of the US and Europe than that of Japan.  In Japan, how many
businesses have started out using Linux or BSD or similar and
commodity PCs as the core of their product offering?  How do small
businesses in Japan compare with OSS-PC busineses in the US w.r.t
acceptance and survivability?

	I think OSS is making the PC an even better product platform
than it used to be for small businesses.  I have lots of friends with
small businesses, and most of them use the OSS-PC combination to drive
their products.  It's great: start with a simple, low cost of entry
platform that is supremely flexible.  Applicable to all sorts of
niches.  Choose one.  Attack.

	OSS-PC businesses diversify more often and more rapidly than
other businesses.  OSS-PC expertise translates into a broad range of
businesses.  It's hard to focus when there is so much opportunity out
there, so most of these little businesses don't.  Even if they are one
or two people!  An OSS-PC business might start out building firewalls,
move into fax servers, start a new company to sell white boxes, a
small consulting arm to VPN's, or an ASP service.  Some people can
handle this, and the diversity keeps them alive.  The ones that hit on
something survive and grow big.

	So, I think these little businesses are great, and they do
great things and are good for economies, but of course I don't know
that.  I also think the best market for this kind of business is one
with:

Strong DIY culture.
Strong technical/science education.
Poor access to capital.