Subject: Re: gdb
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 08:06:33 +0100 (MET)

> From: Michael Tiemann <tiemann@cygnus.com>
>
>     No.  For large outfits, the overhead of one person becoming the
>     expert on the location, care and feeding of free software which
>     could then be replicated internally would probably be much smaller
>     than the amount of $$ saved in license fees.
>
> This is true only in a short-term analysis.  If, in the long term, the
> free software delivers real value, the organization becomes hostage to
> the single person (who may decide to cash in their options and start an
> internet company).  A company like Cygnus solutions can spread that risk
> across so many people that when an engineer has a change of heart, the
> customer is not exposed to undue risk.

  Could you elaborate. I am of course talking about freeed (aka libre)
software, (or even GPL/FPL, if you insist). Then how can one become
hostage. Of course you cannot expect your every wishes to be satisfied
by someone who does not get paid. But you are still freeer than with
leash-ware (the price being irrelevant in this issue).
  Or did I miss something ?

Bernard

 Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469