Subject: Re: economic efficiency of free software
From: Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:58:40 +0000

Russell Nelson wrote:
> Remember Nelson's Maxim: there are no problems, only unmet business
> opportunities.  If you can figure out a way to save people money
> through your actions, then you can convince them to share a portion of
> those savings with you, triggering your action.

I presume you mean that its theoretically possible to convince them,
rather than that it is a foregone conclusion? Also, what about people
(like me) who are foolish enough to undertake the action before the
money is forthcoming? When I started working on Apache, how would I have
arranged to be paid for that?

Cheers,

Ben.