Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org Case Studies
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:17:50 +0100

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 01:48:22PM -0800, Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
> Hi
>
> >On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:26:01AM -0800, Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
> >> Hi
> >> I'm the commmunity manager for OpenOffice.org and am compiling SF Bay
> Area
> >> case studies of companies using OpenOffice.org.  If you know of any
> >> possiblities, I'd be delighted if you could share them with us.
> >>
> >> I can be reached at louis at openoffice.org.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> --
> >> Louis Suarez-Potts
> >> Community Manager
> >> OpenOffice.org
> >

> >You want that from the USA, or anywhere in the world.
>
> USA to start with but anywhere in the world is also okay.
>

> >only private companies ?
>
> No; public institutions are also okay.  The point is to provide examples
> that others can look to and follow.  Our biggest problem is proving to
> companies that others have gone there and lived to tell about it.

In France : all police stations are to be equipped with it (about
40000 machines already installed with it).  On windows.

In the south of France: 38 000 recently installed for high schools
(age 13).  Another 38 000 planned next year.   On windows.
  saving : around $ 1.5 million, each time
  (considering that they can get MS Office for only $50)

Actually OpenOffice is more and more widely used in education, but
this was an official computer equipment project for all high school
students in the area (every student in the grade corresponding to age
13 gets a portable computer).

I know that several administration are beginning to use it, but I do
have to check for details.

It seems to be rather popular with hospitals, because someone made a
study (in French) about its deployment for a hospital.  But I would
not say it swamped the whole hospital world.

Generally, it is appreciated in environments where people do not have
to collaborate with the outside to produce documents.  At least that
is my impression.
  reason, I believe: switching repeatedly between 2 distinct office
suites is not to good for the look of documents, even though each read
the other well enough.

Germany: city of Munich  (on Linux, I believe)

I can probably find someone with more specific info on all this

Bernard

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX