Subject: Re: economic efficiency of free software
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:27:54 +0900

>>>>> "ken" == ken i m <ken_i_m@elegantinnovations.net> writes:

    ken> I'm sorry.

I am too; I've been in this place too long, I guess.

    ken> In other words, what I want does not exist.  Some big chunks
    ken> of fundamental technology have not been invented yet.

I have to wonder why you don't marvel at Amazon.com[1], Google, and
Lexis/Nexis, and see the glass as "half-full."  Maybe you just don't
remember being totally at the mercy of travel agents, library card
catalogs, the Index of Periodical Literature, and the like?  It seems
to me that what's needed on top of them is not so much fundamental
technology as grubby spadework assembling rule databases and
monitoring current conditions for "expert systems".

Footnotes:
[1]  I'm not talking about delivering books, but about delivering
information.  I made my first Amazon purchases last December.  But it
has been my second-most-used bibliographic research tool for several
years.  Number one is my personal BibTeX database.  Hm.