Subject: Re: economic efficiency of free software
From: Jeff Barr <jeff@vertexdev.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:33:24 -0800

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Footnotes:
> [1]  I'm not talking about delivering books, but about delivering
> information.  I made my first Amazon purchases last December.  But it
> has been my second-most-used bibliographic research tool for several
> years.  Number one is my personal BibTeX database.  Hm.

Tim O'Reilly has had a lot to say about this:

http://www.oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/ask_tim/2004/amazon_0204.html

I've also engaged in some discussions (I work at Amazon) revolving
around the fact that our web services initiative is very much in
the spirit of the open source movement, with open and public APIs,
community support, regular and frequent releases, clean licensing,
and so forth.

Jeff;