Subject: Re: gdb
From: Michael Tiemann <tiemann@cygnus.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 09:09:43 -0800

    Thats' why the company need to let it's employees learn to read the
    source code of the free software, and budget time for these
    professionals to learn things, other that the support desks phone
    numbers.

You are making a totally different argument, one which fails for other
reasons.  If you distribute knowledge across everybody in the
organization, you do minimize risk, but you maximize overhead, and the
Cygnus model wins again because that overhead _is_ our business, not a
distraction to our business.

I'm not saying that Cygnus is the only company that can do what it
does.  What I am saying is that if you want reliable expertise, it's
better to get it from people who focus on providing that expertise, not
people who happen to have it or people who happen to learn it.

Michael