Subject: Re: open source policy across the globe
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:11:14 +0100

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 03:53:20PM -0500, L Jean Camp wrote:
> Did all of you see this?
>
> http://www.teknologiradet.no/html/592.htm
>
> Tracking open code policy across the globe.

The first category states:
 `1. Software acquisition should only be based on "value for money" '

isn't that true of all actors in economy ...  :-)

Now the question may be : "what money is to be taken into account ?"

for example:  just the cost of buying the software (OSS is clear winner :-)

or : the cost of putting all kinds of security controls around opaque,
potentially harmful (spyware) proprietary software.

or : the cost of killing local jobs and having to compensate in some
other ways

or : so called TCO.

  ... where is the boudary when you compute cost ?

Bernard

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX