Subject: Re: Pricing "open source" consulting
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 07 Mar 2004 07:36:55 -0500

davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton) writes:

> > It would probably be easiest to pitch as an hourly fee.  What the
> > fee should be depends upon the business environment where you are
> > doing the work.  Since you're in Italy and I'm not, I have no idea
> > what's appropriate.  In the U.S. I think a consultant would get from
> > $100 to $200 per hour, or for a startup would be paid in equity.
>
> Sure, I can figure out hourly fees, that's not a problem.  I was just
> curious if there were other pricing models that are common for this
> kind of work.

Other than per-hour, per-project, and equity, the other pricing model
which I know of would be to charge a percentage of the amount of money
which is saved.  Of course that only applies when the project is
expected to save money for the client in some way, which doesn't sound
like the case here.

Ian